Thursday, September 09, 2010

From My Garden...and Bookcases

This year, I grew heirloom tomato varieties, and I'm sorry to report that none of them were particularly special. They grew well-and I have tons of them, I just don't care for them all that much. I really didn't like the yellow ones. The Green Zebras were fine, but after a few dozen, it became a chore looking for things to do with them. Oh well, that's the gamble you take in gardening.

What did work out fantastic were the dozen heads of radicchio, and the leeks. I know, you're wondering what I'll do with that much of produce that gets used sparingly-but trust me, I'll put them to good use.

Today, I planted the last of the peas. As I only harvest the shoots, I don't need to worry about them maturing before a frost. At least, I hope I don't (we've been known to have early frosts around here).

I still have bell peppers, sage, and some cutting lettuces, but for the large part, I'm through-and pleased to be. I have no idea if I'll do a garden this size next year. It was an awful lot of work, and living with chronic anemia has forced me to give better consideration to the tasks I take on....like lugging books home from a library sale. Oh yes people! You know where I'll be for the next three days. There's also a large sale coming up next month at the Wahoo library, which runs for a couple days. We spent yesterday cramming books into every available space of bookcase to make room for new additions to our collection. Oh sure, it was futile-we need at least five more bookcases, as they are at capacity now, but I think once the easy-reader books are culled from Danny's collection, we'll free up some more room.

I really hope we run into "smiley" again-I mean, if he fancies me that much maybe I can get him to lug books to the car for me ;)

No comments: