Monday, October 25, 2010

1950's Chocolate Chip Cookies


The recipe for these came from a Pillsbury's Best Butter Cookie Cookbook pamphlet from the 50's. I skipped the nuts, and added some white chocolate chips-but otherwise stayed with the original recipe. As someone who isn't a chocolate chip cookie fanatic, I have to admit, I liked these. I don't think I'd crave them, but I did enjoy them. The cookies are flatter, and crispier than what we associate with chocolate chip cookies today, and they have less butter and sugar in them.


You Will Need:

2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, unbeaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate pieces
1/2 cup nuts (I omitted these)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease baking sheets.

Mix dry ingredients together, and set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter. beat in the sugars, mixing well. beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the chips and nuts.

Drop by teaspoonful onto pan leaving about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes, or until slightly golden on top. remove to a rack to cool. Makes about 3 1/2 dozen (that's what I got).

No comments: