Thursday, October 07, 2010

Roquefort Biscuits, Gourmet Magazine, February 1972


I love blue veined cheeses. They make me sick, each and every time I have them, but I insist on eating them anyway. I consider it well worth the itchy mouth, and these biscuits are no exception. Well, OK that isn't exactly true because I only managed a bite-but I would have consumed a quantity, were I able.

Mr. ETB walked in the house, and declared the kitchen smelled like Cheeze-It crackers. He ate something like four of these. Danny had a couple as well.

The recipe calls for making mini-biscuits-the batch totaling 36 pieces. Yeah, I don't bother with that sort of thing. I made 12 regular sized biscuits and baked them a few minutes longer. I'll post the original recipe and directions, but be assured, these work just as well with a 2 inch cutter. I also didn't roll them out-I just patted them thin with my hand.

The deal with making good biscuits (or scones, or pastry for that matter) is to handle the dough as little as possible. Work quickly, and you'll be rewarded with light, fluffy biscuits without a hint of greasiness.

You Will Need:

2 cups AP flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter (cold)
1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter and cheese until finely crumbed. Add milk slowly (you may need more or less) tossing with your hand until you have a soft dough. Mix gently and pat out to 1/2 inch thickness on a work surface.

Cut with a 1 1/2 inch cutter, and place on baking sheet. Combine melted butter with milk, and brush the tops. Bake until puffed, and golden-about 12-15 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: