Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cranberry/Candied Citrus Bread


Just when I've convinced myself that I've made all the, "good" quickbreads, I find a new favourite. This one is adaptable-the original recipe called for lemon, I added cranberries and candied oranges. What makes it so spectacular is the topping, a simple mix of granulated sugar and lemon juice that is poured over the cake aft6er being removed from the oven. Really, a fresh-tasting delicious quickbread.
I'm posting my changes, not the original recipe.

From Farm Journal Freezing and Canning Cookbook, 1963

You Will Need:


1/3
cup melted butter

1 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk

1/
2 cup candied orange slices (or peel, or 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest)
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh (or frozen) cranberries, divided
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4 pan (or a large loaf pan, if all else fails)

Blend the butter with 1 cup of the sugar and beat in the eggs one at a time (I did all his with a wooden spoon, as a mixer tends to over-do quickbreads). Sift together dry ingredients and add, alternating with milk. Fold in candied peel and 1 cup of the cranberries. Pour into pan and scatter remaining cranberries on top. Bake until it tests done-about 80 minutes. Mix together the lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, leaving it somewhat crystalline. Pour and brush over the hot loaf. Let sit until mostly cool in pan on rack, remove from pan and cool until cold. Wrap tightly in wax paper and cling film and store 24 hours before cutting. Also freezes well (because the recipe is from a freezing cookbook, duh).


2 comments:

Janice said...

Well, while we are on the subject of duh...I hope the answer to my question isn't too obvious. I'm just wondering why this bread is wrapped for 24 hours before cutting?
Thanks, and btw, I found the post on breast feeding hilarious.

Goody said...

Yes, it should be wrapped, but only once it has completely cooled. Don't try making it with breastmilk though, That would be yucky ;)