Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cranberry/Pear Chutney

This was a small batch I tossed together with leftover cranberries from baking the previous bread. You can play with the ingredients, amounts, and spices of course-this is more a general idea. I skipped the vinegar in favour of lemon juice because I had juiced more lemons than I needed. As an attempt to use up odds and ends, it turned out nicely. I served it on some cheese crackers (also baked from odds and ends in the fridge) before dinner to great raving from the little one.

You Will Need:

2 cups chopped cranberries
1 large pear, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped, candied oranges
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 heaping cup brown sugar
1 heaping teaspoon salt
A few red pepper flakes
A splash of water if needed

Cook over moderate heat until thickened. Makes about 1 1/2 pints. Store in fridge and use within a couple weeks.

No comments: