Monday, May 02, 2011

A Spring Cake




As you can see, my cake decorating skills haven't improved much since the last time I attempted something like this-eh, whatever.

We have a frost warning tonight. I'm serious. I have to go out and cover my eggplant tonight because the universe thinks Nebraska needs a frost on 2 May. But lets not dwell on that, look everybody, Mama baked a cake! I'm thinking spring whether the universe likes it or not, specifically flowers.

This is the maraschino cherry cake from my 1950 Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, filled with sour cherry preserves (last jar-almost made it a year as they were canned on 27 June) and frosted with creamy white frosting (also from Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook).

This would be a lovely Mother's Day cake, or a "just because the universe is sending frost on 2 may cake". Your call. As it is made with egg whites it is a nice way to use up extras sitting around in your freezer. If you don't have extra egg whites sitting around in your freezer, you should come on over because I have dozens. That's the problem with homemade pasta and ice cream-surplus egg whites.

In other news-we're on book 23 of the Iliad. One more to go...
I really must say, it hasn't been that tedious and I credit the Fagles translation. If in a moment of madness you decide to have your six year old read the Iliad aloud an hour a day, this is an excellent translation for the task. I don't know that it would be my first choice for an older student reading on their own, but for Danny's level of vocabulary and comprehension (which admittedly, is pretty good) it was a good fit.

Well, I'm off to go cover my plants before the universe sends us a 2 May frost in Nebraska. Gee whiz.

No comments: