Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blueberry Cheese Coffee Cake




Rich poundcake-like base, a pint of blueberries, cream cheese centre, and a crumb topping. But hey, the blueberries have antioxidants. So yeah, you'd better go back and cut a larger slice.

Disclosure-I can't eat this sort of thing. I took a taste of each part, and while pleasant, I knew it wouldn't be worth it to eat any more. This is a very rich cake. If you can tolerate dense fats, then this might be the cake for you. Danny and Mr. ETB certainly tucked-in. What I did try was a handful of blueberries earlier-and they don't taste like anything. These were from New Jersey-I'm not sure if the Michigan ones will be better when they hit the shelves, but I don't think the East coast ones were having a good year. We never even see Nova Scotia berries anymore. Anyway, my point is that this cake has so many expensive ingredients (butter, cream cheese, berries) that it might be worth the effort to locate flavourful fruit beforehand.

This now brings the total to seven, if you're keeping track of the recipes I've made from the quickbreads book. It is ridiculous how well tested these breads are-I should have had something go wrong by this point, but haven't.

2 comments:

Raymond said...

Yeah... blueberries never do it for me. Their taste is just too mild to my tastebuds. Almost not there.

Goody said...

Yet, cooked into jam, or pureed to make sorbet they improve-but who wants to do that much work, right. I guess apricots suffer from that too-not great fresh, but they transform when cooked.