Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Brown Rice and Lima Bean Salad

This is another recipe inspired by what I had growing outside. I lightly steamed the Lima beans, and as with broad beans, removed the filmy skin covering the bean. That was a bit of work, but the salad turned out quite nice. I don't see any reason this could not be made with frozen Lima beans, save for cost (they are quite expensive where I live).

You Will Need:

2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice (I had short grain, so I used it)
1 heaping cup lightly cooked fresh or frozen Lima beans
1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon peel (or the grated zest of 1 small lemon)
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 heaping tablespoon dried onion flakes (they are less assertive than fresh and I did not want to overpower the beans)

Dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
Pinch sweet paprika
Salt/pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Mix well and toss with ingredients above. Serve well chilled.

No comments: