Tuesday, July 26, 2011

That's His Dad's Side of the Family Speaking

I made rum-raisin ice cream today, and had a good half cup of soaking rum left after draining the raisins. I used it to give the stored Christmas cakes a refreshing. Yes, I made them last October, and they are still perfect. That's what good storage and strong booze will do for candied fruit. I keep them wrapped tightly in cheesecloth moistened with either brandy or rum, and then wrap them tightly again in foil. I made all the candied fruit myself, and I'm curious to see how it holds up at the one year mark. Anyway, Danny walked into the kitchen as I was brushing rum on the fruitcakes.

Danny: Mama? Are you frying tonight for dinner?

Me: Yes, we're having battered fish.

Danny: You should batter and fry hunks of Christmas cake.

Me: That's just your Scottish ancestry speaking. You should go lie down until it passes.

No comments: