Saturday, September 03, 2011

Anniversary Cake

To celebrate 10 years of living in Nebraska, I did something I never thought I would-I baked cake in a coffee cup in the microwave. After drinking soda for breakfast, and tater-tot casserole, I can't think of anything more Midwestern (except maybe complaining about taxes).

Dove season opened 1 September, and early this morning I woke to "pop-pop-pop" from the wildlife area next to us. At least no one was shooting them off our roof this year (true story).

Cake in a Mug:

4 tablespoons AP flour
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons whisked egg
3 tablespoons milk]3 tablespoons oil
1/2 oz. chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in mug. Mix in egg to make a paste. Stir in milk and oil. Mix well. Stir in chocolate pieces, and vanilla. Mix.

Microwave 3-4 minutes until it is puffed and solid. My 20 year old microwave took about 3 1/2 minutes.

Tip out of cup onto plate, and cool slightly (it will steam) before eating. Impress your friends.

No comments: