Thursday, October 06, 2011

Baked Brown Bread


Brown bread as I know it is round, steamed in a tin, and served with baked beans. This loaf is baked, saving quite a bit of time. Mind, the texture is different from the steamed variety, but it still turned out nicely. The recipe was originally for muffins, but I had no trouble baking it in a loaf pan, adjusting the time accordingly.

From: Williams and Sonoma Muffins and Quickbreads, 1993


You Will Need:

1/2 cup rye flour (I had medium rye)
1/2 cup cornmeal (I had yellow)
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb.
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (I soured regular milk with lemon juice)
1/3 brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used corn)
1/3 cup molasses (I used blackstrap)
1 large egg
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease and flour a loaf pan. Sift together the flours, bicarb, and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, sugar, oil, molasses, and egg. Whisk smooth. Stir in dry ingredients mixing only until combined. Stir in raisins. Pour into pan and bake 30-40 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

No comments: