Friday, October 14, 2011

Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting



The camera is working again-sort of.

This cake was really just a way to use up milk and egg whites. the layers are...well, plain. Very, very plain. I've certainly made better cake. It is somewhat dry and just generally uninteresting, so I won't bother sharing the recipe. The frosting however is another story.

I don't even like frosting (I'm a "dust it with icing sugar" sort of baker) but this was delicious. I had some excellent quality sour cream made without stabilisers and additives. I suspect that helped quite a bit. The chocolate I used was inexpensive Baker's chocolate. I made the cake yesterday, and let it sit until tonight. The frosting seems to have improved (if that's even possible to improve upon perfection) with the sitting period in the fridge.

You Will Need:

6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups sifted icing sugar

Melt the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over very low heat. Remove to a larger bowl, stir in sour cream, vanilla and salt. Begin adding sugar and beating on high speed with a hand mixer. You may need more or less sugar, but give it a good five minutes of mixing to cool and gain a spreading consistency. This makes a beautifully soft frosting that is easy to swirl if you're feeling fancy. I dusted mine with additional cocoa powder to distract from my inabilty to frost a cake attractively.

No comments: