Thursday, December 29, 2011

Raisin Refrigerator Relish

The recipe for these raisins comes from The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest by, Carol W. Costenbader. So far I've been pleased with the recipe format as well as the results. I have a lime vinegar sitting, but when it is ready, I'll post the results.

I know you think pickled raisins sound strange, and they do but you'll be cheating yourself out of a really excellent pickle if you let that keep you from making this. It reminds me of chutney without the onion and sugary glop. Even the kiddo liked them (you thought I was going to say, "relished" them, didn't you?). I can see these with a roast, though I served them with a salad tonight, and will probably toss them on some flatbreads with curry tomorrow. My only regret is not making more, as I expect these to go fast.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I substituted a teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes)
1 cup raisins
1 cup sultanas(I used all raisins)

Heat vinegar and sugar. Add garlic, salt, and remaining spices. Pour warm vinegar over raisins in a 1 pt. sterile canning jar. Cap, seal, and refrigerate. Keeps 3-5 days* in the fridge.

*That seems kind of short for a pickle, even unprocessed. Still, it is a small batch and will probably get used quickly. Any food science experts have thoughts on this?

No comments: