Saturday, January 07, 2012

Lime Mint Jelly (Jam)

From Sunset Home Canning.



Don't say I didn't warn you that this is addictive. You'll wonder what to put it on, but let me assure you, this stuff will never make it anywhere near toast-you'll be eating it by the spoonful as a sweet.

About the colour-yes, it looks like Green River Soda, and no, it wasn't deliberate (or natural). I added what I thought was a single drop of green food colouring to help along the grey-ish colour of the mint. I might have overdone it a tad. Danny is really freaked out by the glowing green jelly and refuses to try it, but that's fine-more for me.

I used pint jars, yielding two and a half. Bad call. I would use half pint jars were I to make this again (which I'm sure I will because it is delicious).

You Will Need:

8-10 limes
Grated zest of 5 limes
4 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups water
Green food colouring (if desired)
3 ounce pouch of liquid pectin
3 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped fresh mint leaves

Wash and grate the zest of 5 limes. Set aside. Juice enough of the limes to total 3/4 cup juice. Pour lime juice, sugar, and water into a large, heavy stockpot and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add food colouring at this point if you like.

When mixture comes to a full rolling boil, stir in the entire packet of pectin all at once. Add zest and mint. Return to a full rolling boil and cook hard 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim any foam, and pack into sterilised half pint jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe threads clean, seal and process in a water bath canner 10 minutes (adjusting for altitude). Remove lid, kill the heat and let cool down 5 minutes before removing to a surface to cool. Let stand 12-24 hours. The jelly will look watery at first, but it sets beautifully by the following day.

No comments: