Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Cracker Crust Corn Pie-Farm Journal Country Cookbook 1959

Tasted better than it looks. Actually, it looked fine on a plate, but I couldn't be arsed to cut another slice after dinner just to take a pretty photograph.

Calling this, "Pie" will require a bit of imagination, but I suppose the fact it is baked in a tin will satisfy most cookbook editors. If pressed, I'd call this a baked corn custard. Still, whatever you choose to call it, this is a delicious way to make use of fresh corn. I haven't tried it with frozen or tinned, but I do suspect it would seem less delicate.

I rarely have saltine crackers at home, and they tend to go stale before the box is finished. I had 1/2 a box of stale saltines and I'm pleased to report they found new life with the addition of a stick of butter. Isn't it amazing how well a stick of butter can improve things? I can't tell you how many times I'm nibbling on a rice cake and think, "This would be so much better thickly spread with butter!" And it really works. Rice cakes really are better thickly spread with butter.

As I've made other corn pies, I'll include links to them at the bottom of the page.

You Will Need:

1 1/4 cups fine cracker crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter (hooray!)
2 tablespoons butter (there's more!)
1 1/4 cups milk (you may as well use whole milk at this point, you're already in it for a stick of butter)divided
2 cups raw, fresh corn (2 or 3 ears)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon onion salt (I omitted this)
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine crumbs and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well. Reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Press the rest into a 9 inch pie plate. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of the milk, 2 tablespoons butter, corn, and salt. bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 3 minutes. Add flour to remaining milk and stir to make a smooth paste. Add slowly to hot corn mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes or until thick. Cool slightly, then slowly stir in the eggs until well combined. Pour mixture into crumb lined pan. Top with remaining crumbs and bake 20 minutes or until set.

And would you look at the beautiful crumb on this bread I baked today? I could never do that again in a million years.


Other Corny Favourites:

Amish Corn Pie
Tomato and Corn Pie
Chilean Corn Packets
Corn Pudding
Corn and Grits Timbales

No comments: