Monday, June 25, 2012

Another Warm Weather Dessert-Coconut Custard

There's no way I am lighting the oven. If the forecast is to be believed, we're in this crud for at least a week. With plenty of freezer room, I planned ahead baking breads, sweet rolls, and even a couple cakes. I am so not lighting the oven this week.

While the garden supplies us with a steady supply of lettuces, and edible flowers, I've been making a dent in my tinned fish stash. You don't have a tinned fish stash? I always heard there were people that didn't stockpile sardines, mackerel, and herring-but I thought it was some sort of urban legend. Really? Dudes, you should go get some tinned fish-there could be a nuclear war or a snowstorm, or something and you'll wish you had sardines. Pick up some crackers too.

Right, the custard (gosh, I do get off topic, don't I?). This is the easiest of custards, and I promise you with some fresh fruit and toasted coconut (do this in a frying pan-not the oven because we're not heating up the house, remember?) no one will feel deprived. If they do, toss a tin of sprats at their head. You can make this with skim milk, but then someone really might toss a tin of sprats at your head. Still, be assured it will work, but will be much lighter.

You Will Need:

2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon softened butter

In a saucepan, whisk together the eggs, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the milk and cream and bring to a boil slowly over medium heat, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, beat in extracts and butter. Cover lightly with cling film which you pierce to vent. Cool, then chill. Serve with fruit, toasted coconut, and if you really must, a nice slice of angelfood cake.

No comments: