Friday, April 19, 2013

"Fakewell" Tart


"Owl just help myself to a nice slice,,,damnit! I can't use a fork with wings!"

People, you really don't want to know what that tart looked like after the owl gave up on the fork. You don't. But if you see a snowy owl with a jam-stained beak...anyway.






Obviously, I wasn't going to make a Bakewell tart with Danny being allergic to almonds-so I made a Fakewell tart instead. You see this recipe quite a bit in Pennsylvania Dutch cookery, usually with the name, "Funny Cake" because it is a funny cake, as it is baked in a pastry crust. I used the recipe in A World of Cakes (Casella, 1968) for the cake part, and my own shortcrust and raspberry filling recipe. I iced it-I know that's vulgar, and if anything there should be a candied cherry atop the tart, rather than a blob of raspberry jam. Obviously I'm not shooting for authenticity with the complete omission of almonds, but I can assure you it is*really* good. I mean, good on a level of you won't be able to sleep knowing it is in the house, so yeah, you know what I say to those who frown on icing a Bakewell Tart.

I had a cup of frozen raspberries, and a few frozen cherries. I used an equal measure of granulated sugar, and a tablespoon of lemon juice for the filling. I cooked it just until it began to sheet from a spoon, then chilled it before layering in the tart. Save some off for the top if you feel comfortable with idea of a decorated Bakewell tart.

You Will Need:

An unbaked, single pastry case fitted into a 9 inch pie plate. It should be rather tall.
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used margarine) softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk (I used 2 %)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
Enough jam to cover the bottom of the pastry in a thin layer

Glaze-icing sugar and water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the pastry case and chill while you make the filling.

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Make a well and add the margarine, sugar, milk, and extract. Beat 2 minutes with an electric mixer, scraping sides often. Add egg and beat 1 minute longer.

Cover bottom of pastry with jam. Pour on the cake batter. Bake 50-55 minutes or until cake tests done and pastry is nicely browned. Cool cake partly in tin, then pour on a thick layer of glaze if desired. When cool enough to handle, and icing is partially set, use a thin spatula to gently remove tart to a wire rack to cool completley. This will ensure a crust that is not soggy. Top with additional jam if desired.

No comments: