Monday, September 30, 2013

Tile

There's a local tile company that has billboards reading:

The 70's called, they want their tile back.

No matter how many times I pass that sign, my brain always screams, "Well can I have it?!"

Every generation has a style they live to regret, then come to appreciate after longer passage of time. I would love avocado appliances in my kitchen, or mushroom shaped canisters and cookie jar. Twenty years ago I lived in a house with avocado appliances, and I couldn't wait to move. It had half-wall wood paneling in the kitchen as well, which I hated, but acknowledge it was easier to wash than a wall. Now I have linoleum designed to look like stone. It shows absolutely no dirt-ever. Ugly? Indeed. Practical? Ever so. I wouldn't want to return to the stuff my parents had that required this huge tile polishing machine be run over it once a month.

I have a difficult time imagining the fake wood flooring, and granite countertops ever being a desirable retro-trend, but I never thought I'd feel nostalgic for the things I do.

So if the 70's call your house demanding anything, send 'em over to me. I'll give everything a good home.

1 comment:

Roseclouds said...

I was born in 1975 and I remember the harvest gold and the avocado green decor. Lately I've felt this need to acquire things from my childhood memories! I rummaged through my mom's cabinets recently to dig out her Corningware casserole dishes and bowls to take home with me. When I was younger I thought the 70s were awful but now I have a soft spot for those years.