Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Honey Bars-Farm Journal Country Cookbook 1959


 

These bars are therapeutic. No really, they are. I had a pounding headache all morning. I finally got a sit down around 3, and after eating a (few) bar, my headache magically disappeared. Headaches don't just go away, so I'm attributing it to magic. I mean, I've had headaches before, and they didn't just drift off on their merry way. So yeah. Magical, therapeutic honey bars.

These take no effort at all to make (even with a headache) and while the recipe called for shortening, I used butter. I don't think these will last long enough to get hard and stale. Even the recipe suggest doubling the recipe as, "Cookie jar raiders go for these chewy cookies." *Nods head* got that right.

You Will Need:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 large egg, well beaten
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp. bicarb
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I omitted these)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 1/2x15 pan (I only had a 9x13, so I used it)

Cream butter, sugar, and honey until light. Beat in egg. Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, and coconut (and nuts if using).

Spread evenly in pan. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan, on a rack. When cool, cut into squares.



A few other views from the cookbook (dig that jellied ground beef salad!)

No comments: