Sunday, November 10, 2013

Apple Dumplings-Farm Journal Country Cookbook 1959

Mr. ETB declared these the best apple dumplings he's ever eaten. I don't know if I'd go that far (I'm from the Midwest-I've eaten my share of apple dumplings) but they were pretty delicious. I added a few drops of red food colouring to the syrup at Danny's request, and I'm glad I listened to him. The dumplings take on a pale pink exterior that looks so beautiful on a plate. You can of course skip it, and I'm sure the dumplings will still look lovely. Dummy that I am, I forgot to get pictures.

These re-heat beautifully in a slow oven (about 190 degrees F.)

You Will Need:

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon allspice3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup brown sugar
a Pastry based on 2 cups flour
8 medium apples (I got 6 from my dough, you may roll thinner than I do) peeled and cored
3 tablespoons jelly (I had concentrated boiled cider, so I used that)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fruit juice (I used apple)\food colouring-optional

Make a paste of the butter, spices and brown sugar.

Roll out pastry 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 8 squares about 6 inches. Place apple in the centre, and put a bit of jelly in each. Spread the spicy spread over each apple. Moisten edges of pastry, bring points over the apple, and seal sides firmly. Roll leftover pastry into streamers (I did leaves to look like apples with a stem at the top). Place dumplings in a large, greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. meanwhile, prepare they syrup.

Combine the sugar, water, juice, and food colouring in a saucepan. Simmer to dissolve sugar, and slightly thicken. Pour over apples. Bake 10-20 minutes longer (mine took about 30)basting frequently. Serve warm.

No comments: