Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Pressies and Cake

Mr. ETB won't tell me where he found this magazine holder, but it was exactly what I wanted, without knowing I wanted it.

My parents had so much of this stuff they would bring back from trips to Canada. For years we had a gigantic platter hanging on the wall, with a similar ship, cliff and lighthouse scene. This one is heavy-made of both wood and brass. I can't wait to get some of my oversized, old magazines into it.
 I made the cake myself because...well, because. A sour cream chocolate cake? Hell yes. Recipe to follow below.
 
Danny did such a great wrapping job, for the life of me, I couldn't imagine what it might be. I like the polka dot paper-I hope he has more of it stashed away. The handbag is a lovely straw number with dragonflies on it.
 
Yes, I'm poorly, and yes, my face is really that red without cosmetics. Still, there was a beautiful, snowy day at home, cake and presents-so I won't complain. Birthdays never bother me as I feel damn lucky to be here given the odds stacked against me.
 
Domingo Cake from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible (That's my kind of religion!)
 
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
2/3 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sifted cake flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons soft butter
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch springform pan, line the bottom with parchment, then grease that as well.
 
In a medium bowl whisk together the cocoa, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. In a large bowl combine everything else and half the cocoa mixture and mix on low until moistened. Increase to medium and add the remaining cocoa mixture in two additions. Beat 1 1/2 minutes. n
 
Scrape batter into the pan and bake 30-40 minutes or until it tests done with a pick in the centre, or the middle springs back lightly when touched. Mine took closer to 45 minutes. Cool in pan, on rack 10 minutes before removing. Cool completely.
 
The cake does not have a frosting suggested as it is already quite rich, but that's never stopped me! I made a simple chocolate frosting by melting 4 tablespoons shortening with 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate. To the melted mixture  added 2 2/3 cups icing sugar, 6 tablespoons milk, and a teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat well until a spreading consistency. I added the white chocolate curls because...well, because!

1 comment:

Curtise said...

Best wrapping of a present EVER. Happy birthday, hope you enjoyed the presents and the cake (looks fabulous) and feel better soon. xxx