Saturday, April 12, 2014

Weekend Family Movies

We're still making a point of watching a couple movies together each weekend. We've alternated between sci-fi (Andromeda Strain, Fahrenheit 451, Attack the Block, Invasion of the Body Snatchers) and musicals (Bandwagon, Camelot),disaster movies (The towering Inferno) and oddball stuff (Safety Not Guaranteed). Tonight, we were unable to watch the sci-fi movie we had reserved at the library because when we stopped by this afternoon, it was closed. There was a sign on the door. Margaret Atwood was in town giving a lecture there as a fundraise. I'm all for fundraisers, and I like Margaret Atwood, but when it interferes with family movie night, I get slightly irked. I had to go to another branch (at least a seven minute drive down 90th street) to find something to watch. I hope Marge enjoyed our library.

Checking out, I got a laugh from the librarian looking at our selection. I guess you don't get people checking out Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and a documentary about Angela Davis in the same trip too often. Just for good measure, we got Contagion as well.

I wanted to hate Contagion, but it really wasn't terrible. It wasn't the best movie I've ever watched, but it was competent, and who wouldn't enjoy watching Gwyneth Paltrow foam at the mouth as her eyes roll back in her head. Probably the kale juice. But really, it was a halfway decent movie even if somewhat predictable in the emotional strings it pulled.

Broadcast television was showing Son of Frankenstein tonight, and we tried watching it, but Danny just couldn't stay awake. I'm not sure I'd ever watched it, but I knew it immediately because Mel Brooks did such a faithful send-up of it in Young Frankenstein. It did however make it hard to watch because there's a tendency to shout out the lines in an audience participation way. Watching Son of Frankenstein does give me a whole new respect for Young Frankenstein as a line-by-line spoof. Brilliant.

I really want Danny to enjoy Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but I do have the feeling his eyes will be rolling five seconds into the film. Nine is such a funny age.



No comments: