Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Merguez Sausages in Phyllo-Lamb, and a Tofu Version

 
The tofu version
 The lamb option
These were such fun to make. Mr. ETB likes lamb, but Danny is vegetarian. As I was able to make use of the spice mix for both versions, it wasn't all that much more work to bake some tofu ahead of time. The assembly and baking went the same. I still have quite a bit of the merguez spice in the fridge, and a jar of homemade harissa paste. I'm sure they will get used.

I followed the recipe HERE for the spice mix: http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/spiceblendsmarinades/r/Merguez-Spice-Mix-Recipe.htm

And the recipe HERE for the harissa paste: http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/spiceblendsmarinades/r/harissa_recipe.htm

And the recipe for the sausage HERE: http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/beeflambandgoatrecipes/r/Merguez-Sausage-Recipe.htm

For the tofu I marinated slices of extra firm tofu in the spice mix with extra olive oil, and a veggie stock cube. I baked it at 400 degrees F. for 30 minutes each side. When cooled, I proceeded as with the sausage.

To form the pastry, first cook the sausages and let them cool. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a baking sheet. Layer phyllo dough brushing each layer with olive oil until you have five sheets. Don't oil the top sheet. Wrap the sausage in it, brush outside with oil, and bake about 40 minutes or until phyllo is golden.

I served the sausages with cous cous and raisins, along with a couple interesting salads. One is orange segments and olives with cumin, the other a tomato and scallion salad with lemon juice and olive oil. Both were devoured enthusiastically. The scallions and salad greens came from the garden, which is satisfying. Where I live scallions are over-priced, and often not very nice, so it is all the more enjoyable to go out and harvest what I need for a recipe.

No comments: