Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Appropriate Dress

 
 
 Much as I enjoy a wild get-up, sometimes an understated dress is called for. My wardrobe has a number of these, "workhorses" that can be made casual with accessories, or work appropriate with the addition of a jacket.
 Easy-care polyester blends get a bad rap as far as I'm concerned. Anything that can be machine washed and tumbled dry without requiring an iron is my kind of fabric. This particular dress is quite light, and perfect for a hot humid day like today. Contrary to the reputation, polyester does breathe, and dries quicker than cotton should you break a sweat. Not that I do, but if I did, this would be a good fabric.
See that hemline? Just where I like it (a few inches below the knee).
Oh, look! They finished the hem so nicely. When's the last time you saw that on an inexpensive item of clothing? This dress is late 70's/very early 80's. Now they save 1/2 cent skipping that step, as the clothes are made to be disposable.
 

 Outfit Particulars:

70's/80's polyester shirtdress-.98 cents, Thrift World
Naturalizer vintage shoes-Thrift World
1960's French handbag-Goodwill, Council Bluffs
1960's bracelet-Hand-Me-Ups, Omaha
1980's earrings-Had them for years
Nan Tights-Attention control top (I think I have a new favourite brand-they're indestructible)

I had the school forms notarized and posted off to the state this morning, so I am officially now on summer holiday (yippie!). Danny's still under the weather, but sooner or later he has to be through with this. I am going to sleep until 10 AM every morning until late August, and god help anyone that interferes with that. With any luck I'll be in bed by 9 PM each evening. In-between sleeping and eating, you can find me lounging at the pool, yelling at the kids to stop splashing. Get a good look at me in an appropriate dress because from here on out, you'll be seeing plenty of patio-dresses, swimsuits, and a dressing gown or three. Hallelujah, let's do summer!
So long, closed-toe shoes. Sandal time has arrived.

OK summer, ready or not, here I come...look out...CANNONBALL!
Last one in is a rotten egg.


 

 
 
 

1 comment:

Sue said...

Yahooooooo for Summer!! Somehow I can see you doing that canonball!! Hope Danny is on the mend and can get to enjoy his summer break with his gorgeous mother. Looking forward to the summer posts and go forth and yell at those dam kids splashing, wish I was there to join in!!