Saturday, August 02, 2014

Modernist

 Thank you all for your kind comments regarding my little old lady moment at the grocer. It is great to know I'm not alone in my resentment of the half-assed way people do just about everything these days.


Sometimes, I'm not sure if I should wear the clothes, or hang them over my sofa. The print on this polyester twinset reminds me of the sort of thing people would hang on a wall when I was young. I like Modernism. Mostly. With exceptions (cause there's always exceptions). Within reason. A twin set might be pushing it. Polyester most certainly is.
 
 
This isn't an easy pattern to wear, particularly if you're worried about looking larger than you are-there is nowhere to hide in tight, printed polyester.
Downstairs toilet photo! New hand-towels too. Well, they're new to me anyway. I gave myself a bit of a haircut yesterday, but I got lazy and didn't finish! I think it still needs a bit more off the back.
 I had to buy an iron today. It has been a good ten years since I did so, and the choices were a bit overwhelming. I don't like the ultra lightweight irons as I find I just need to press harder-so where's the benefit? I don't need fancy non-stick surfaces, or cool mists, or any of the umpteen other special features. I just want something to press the wrinkles from clothes. I had a headache five minutes after entering the store. Over the years I've had very expensive irons (over $100.00) and cheap ones for under $20.00 There hasn't been much difference. I bought this one because it was closest to the iron I grew up with, and it is heavy enough to do some good: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-F67E-Soleplate-Steam-surge/dp/B001RJTQ8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407009676&sr=8-1&keywords=black+and+decker+classic+iron

Lordy, I really am getting all old lady cranky.


At least I don't need to iron the polyester!
 

 Red pepper alert-to the bottom right hand corner of the screen. These are Hungarian paprika peppers, though I don't plan to dry them, in theory I could. They're mild and work really well in a stir-fry.

Outfit Particulars:

1970's polyester twinset-Goodwill, Council Bluffs, Iowa
1970's Koret of California skirt-Goodwill
1960's Naturalizer shoes-Thrift World
1960's Handbag-Goodwill, Council Bluffs
1960's necklaces-Hand-Me-Ups
Bracelet (part of a set with necklace and earrings) Hand-Me-Ups
Hoop earrings-K Mart
Rings-thrifted here and there


Ugh! This vanity is much higher than the upstairs one. I'm not doing that again!
The next few weeks are going to be a mad scramble around here with the fair registration and drop off, then dental work, and then the fair itself. And school starting at the end of the month. So between crowns on cracked teeth, Mr. ETB being "on call" for a week at a time (but then he's off for four, so that's good) and being out of town at various points, it will be busy. We had the good sense to rent a car for both the trip to Seward, and the trip to Grand Island. I like the Mighty Tempo, but I don't think it is up to a long ride. I'm looking forward to next weekend in Seward as Lincoln is on the way back, and they have an exceptional Salvation Army store. And a Ben Franklin dimestore, so if anyone needs hairnets, Blue Waltz perfume, or Aunt Martha sewing transfers, let me know before next week. That store is like stepping back into 1950, right down to the penny candy aisle.

All right, I'm off to iron the tablecloths. Have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Jayne H said...

Hey Goody, blogger ate my comments on your last post - I was basically agreeing with your old lady advice to the store manager about the way your shopping was packaged. The youngsters need to learn and sort out their attitude.
Sounds like busy times ahead but good to have a plan.
Happy ironing.

Asparagus Pea said...

The picture of your shoe on the vanity unit made me laugh - be careful getting your cranky old lady leg up there sweetie! I've just dragged my cranky old lady arse home from work and this post was just the tonic I needed!

Curtise said...

That print is wonderful, definitely a little bit of abstract modern art right there. And who wants to hide anyway?
Sounds like you're going to have a busy August! xxx

Goody said...

@ Jayne
I think my plan ought to be, "Hire a housekeeper."