Monday, December 22, 2014

Stollen, When I Should Have Been Buying

As I type, the scent of butter and sugar are filling the house. We're just one Buche Noel away from being done with the holiday baking. It is 40 degrees F and pouring rain, so unless something changes radically, we're not going to be having a white Christmas this year. Fine by me. We do the bulk of our celebration on Christmas Eve, with the Feast of the Seven Fishes, which in our house translates into paella. Christmas Day, we eat leftovers, and play board games.
Do you see what I see? No, no, not baby Jesus-I'm talking about this hideous cardigan. It screamed at me in the thrift store, so here we are.

Get a good look...because you won't be seeing it again. On the positive side, it is so strange, I needn't worry about seeing myself coming and going. 

With such a short time left to the holidays, I had to make an effort to get all the festive clothing worn for the year. I don't know why I have so much velvet, but I do. 
 This was just an inexpensive skirt from Principles about a decade ago, but I love it. As I'm afraid I may well, "Love it to pieces" I keep it for wearing at the holidays. I don't think it was made to last as long as it has.

The red raincoat is getting plenty of use this year. It is part of an ensemble, though I've yet to wear the skirt. I think this is the last of my Christmas scarves that need wearing (to justify the space taken owning them) but I'd better check the collection one last time to be sure.

Outfit Particulars:

Vintage Christmas cardigan-Hand-Me-Ups
Headband-Tiff and Tam
Poinsettia earrings-K Mart

Lurex-ish black top-Can't remember-90's
Velvet and rayon skirt-Principles, early 90's
Sparkly black belt-Shop Ko
1950's standed grey beads-Thrifted about 25 years ago in Western, Massachusetts
Pink lucite bangle-Goodwill
Black and grey bangles-Hand-me-Ups
50's clip pink pearl earrings-Hand-Me-Ups

60's red polyester raincoat-New Life Thrift
Black Boots-Target, ages ago
Skinny jeans (on a decidedly NOT skinny body) K Mart
80's red acrylic pullover by Picket and Post-Hand-Me-Ups
Oscar silk scarf-Hand-Me-Ups
Rhinestone hair combs-Sally Beauty Supply
 Vintage Shiny Brite Christmas Corsage-Thrift World
Knit handbag-Sears, about 15 years ago (maybe more)

I still haven't tried out the fragrance decants as I have a terrible head cold and can't smell accurately. Frustrating? Oh hell yes, so to make myself feel better I went online and ordered some vintage Yendi, and a bottle of Lentheric 12. Yeah, I know-it makes no sense to me either. Eventually, I'll be able to breathe through my nose again. I hope.  I haven't thrifted since before Thanksgiving, so I suppose it wasn't *too* extravagant.

I just pulled the completed stollens from the oven-I could sure smell those!

When they come out of the oven, you brush them with butter and start layering on the icing sugar. It melts on the bottom layers, but keep going, adding more and more until they look like this. Cool completely before wrapping and storing for a couple days before serving. The extra one is destined for my husband's group at work. They get half a day off Christmas Eve, so I thought this would be nice with coffee in the department.

I didn't forget, and wear my apron out this time-doubt anyone would have noticed. The pre-Christmas hysteria is setting-in and the supermarket was a madhouse. Seems a bit late in the game to be starting, but I guess a small turkey would thaw in time. Personally, I'd go for a capon were I cooking poultry, but they're more expensive than goose now.

I hope to post a series of holiday snaps from my family photographs before Christmas, but just in case I don't get back here in time, here's a flip off to carry you through any unpleasant family gatherings you may have ahead of you. You know Uncle Charlie always misses the toilet. Always. Watch where you step, and Happy Holidays.
White Christmas? No, I'm afraid it will rain, dear.

Be getting my hat now.

3 comments:

Sue said...

That Christmas jumper is so bad that it is good. Unfortunately as it is Summer over here we don't have such treats on offer. The odd tacky T-shirt but that is it for Christmas clothing. Yum to the Stollen, looks incredible and I bet it is tasty. Thanks for the flip but we don't do the unpleasant family get together bull, opted out of that stuff a few years back. Christmas is GREAT now.

Unknown said...

awesome cardigan!!! merry christmaaaaas!!!
Oh! And the comic is still in my head, haha!!!

Curtise said...

Stollen, a Christmas jumper, velvet, and a red coat - it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas over at your house, JJ! xxx