Monday, March 20, 2017

In Like a Lion

I have some new art gracing the powder room. There's a pair, and they're very much like a drawing I had in my bedroom as a child. I was terrified it would come to life in the dark, something that bewildered my older sister. "He's a friendly lion" she'd tell me, but never just taking it down so I could sleep without fear. I now have hideous lion drawings and figures around the house so I suppose it did me some good being traumatised at a young age. That's what's wrong with this generation-no childhood trauma to stand them in the declining years.
I have a trio of these gilt plastic charmers. I'm always seeking more as I hope to fill an entire wall with them eventually.
A man walks intro a bar with a giraffe. After a bit, the giraffe falls over drunk and the man starts to leave. The bartender says, pointing to the giraffe, "You can't just leave that lyin' there." The man replies, "That's not a lion, that's a giraffe."

I now own this skirt in four different colourways. It must have been popular at some point, though I don't know when. It isn't as nice as my genuine Mexican tourist skirt, but it has a similar vibe with the additional fun of sequins. I'd have bought it in any colour but finding it in green was great luck. I've yet to meet a shade of green I didn't love, and this bright acid hue is perfection.
Outfit Particulars:
Skirt-Goodwill
Poloneck-K mart
Belt-Von Maur about 15 years ago
Bangles-both Goodwill
Shoes-Goodwill
Sheer nylon tights-K Mart
Handbag-antique mall
Brooch-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings-Thrift World
Fragrance-None as we're still dealing with allergies/asthma. Had I worn something, it probably would have been Coriandre.

I know not to pack the winter coats just yet. Mornings and evenings are still cool and the wind can be strong out on the prairie. Layering is the best approach, when I think of it. 

 Continuing with the green theme, I got the Ultrasuede suit out of mothballs for St. Patrick's day.

There's a matching jacket as well, but even I know that's too much. Sadly, you CAN overdo Ultra Suede. Speaking of Ultrasuede, I was lucky enough to snag a vintage Halston men's jacket at the Goodwill. Danny can't quite wear it as the sleeves are a bit long, but by next year it should be a perfect fit. Being Ultrasuede, it laundered beautifully and looks as good as it would have in the 70's when new. I'm amazed at the things that end up in our thrift stores. 

Outfit Particulars:
Green Ultrasuede skirt and waistcoat-Goodwill
Vntage polyester blouse-Hand-Me-Ups
Shoes-K Mart
Vintage suede shoulder bag-Goodwill
Earrings-Hobby Lobby
Green enamel clamper bracelets-Both Target, early 2000's
Vintage leather coat-Goodwill
Old Lady over-shades-Walgreens (don't laugh, they're the best sunnies I own, and they block light from the sides as well).
I hope to finish planting the spring garden this week. There will be peas, purple sprouting broccoli, spinach ,rocket, and of course the sorrel that comes back every year. I'm going to try growing potatoes in our large bag bed this year, which should be an interesting experiment. I haven't planned ahead to summer yet, but I suppose there will be tomatoes, lettuces, and herbs. I won't be growing okra again as the boys didn't care for it, and it grew like crazy. I couldn't give the stuff away before there were dozens more ready to harvest. 
Have a great week.










12 comments:

Sue said...

We are slipping into Autumn here, I think you call it Fall over your neck of the woods. So cooler mornings but glorious days follow, I LOVE IT!! I also love your green coat with the fur, such a nice shade of green. So happy to have you back, and I promise to keep my garden ready for your camping!!!

Radostin said...

I agree with Sue, that green coat is wonderful.
I have a skirt very similar to your not-genuine tourist skirt, but all black with white decoration only; interesting to know that that sort of decorative design is Mexican-inspired. Thank you!

Mim said...

Those gilt lions are unnerving; a whole wall of them will be properly frightening.

Fab green outfits - that Mexican skirt is really super, I'm not surprised you have it in other colours.

Hmm, maybe I should plant some okra. I've got plenty of Indian recipes for it, and never buy it... Does it need lots of sun?

Vix said...

Halston? Fabulous! Can't wait to see an even taller Danny Boy modelling it next year.
I had that skirt in green, too. Can't think for the life of me what i did with it, I loved it with purple boots.
The green coat is gorgeous, I'm drooling over the leather one and the faux suede suit very snazzy.
Ailurophobics should steer clear of Walsall, we've got a huge Sikh population and a lot of families have huge stone lions standing guard outside their houses. xxx

Polyester Princess said...

That gilt plastic lion is looking like it's afraid of you guys. There's a definite look of fear in his eyes. Imagine having a whole wall of them. Obviously, I love your green skirt and coat. That's such a lovely shade of green, although like you I like almost all shades of green. The print of that blouse you are wearing with the ultra suede suit looks very familiar, so I think I might have something in the same print. And I really like your new haircut with the fringe, Goody. xxx

Miss Magpie said...

I'm most definitely with you over green and yes acid green too. I like the lion picture but you can keep the other one thank you very much.

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...

Those are some hideously wonderful lions!

I love your 'Mexican tourist skirt' and it's a fabulous shade of green. You are looking very sophisticated in that gorgeous green coat and all those brilliant accessories.

The St. Patrick's Day outfit is amazing - I love that washable suede material. I once had a skirt in it but I have no idea where it has gone.

What a shame we don't live closer - I love okra!

Have a great week.

Goody said...

@Sue
We use both autumn and fall in the US but it is regional. There's an old childhood trick of tripping someone and saying, "Have a nice trip, see you in the fall!" Kids never miss an opportunity to be assholes.

@Radostin
If you have a look around Etsy searching for "Mexican tourist skirt" you can see some incredible examples of the real thing. I particularly desire a velvet, hand painted and sequined style skirt, but they run hundreds of dollars. As they're all hand painted no two are alike.

@Mim
Okra needs at least part sun, but full sun is best. The stalks grow very tall (about 5 feet) and need to be trained up poles like beans. As it is all vertical, you can plant quite a bit in a small spot (it does well in a crowded space)but the pods must be picked when small (the larger ones are tough and stringy) and it can be a job keeping up with that much okra. It does freeze well.

Our letter carrier really likes okra, so we were able to share most of it with him. I told him to just help himself, which thankfully he did. I don't like wasting food, particularly when I've grown it myself.

@Vix
There was a time in the US (mid-70's) when those lion statues outside houses were considered a sign of wealth. People would put them on the most magnificent columns. I wonder what happened to them all? I'd rather enjoy a visit to Walsall-that's just one more reason.

@Ann
Well, the lion is in my bedroom so it has probably seen me undressed-that would explain the look of fear and horror!

@Miss Magpie
Aw, but as my sister would say, "He's a friendly lion. He just wants to play."

@Veronica
It IS a shame we don't live closer, okra or not. Think of the fun we'd have.

Beth Waltz said...

I do like that splendid green skirt, and Halston, and it-launders-well ultrasuede. But most of all, I love! the lion and giraffe go into a bar joke! (Nope, don't like okra. Halston Bluementhal would be defeated by okra.)

Beth Waltz said...

Heston.

Goody said...

@Beth
I sorta like the idea of a Halston/Heston mash-up. Really stylish food no one can eat?

Reminds me of the time my mother went shopping for Amy Vanderbilt jeans. That got a scowl from the saleslady.

Radostin said...

I will have a look for those skirts! (But only out if interest; the only thing for which I pay hundreds of dollars is lots of groceries;))