Sunday, February 04, 2018

Macbeth

Apologies for the crappy phone camera photos. If you're interested, I posted a video of it at Instagram.

 I used spray-on food colouring instead of icing for the castle which gave it a great, stone look. I would definitely buy that product again.


 "Can't you do anything right?! Fine. I'll finish it myself."
I had to do a classic ghost wearing a bedsheet because I have a strange sense of humour, but at least I made his sheet tartan.
 ...and the witches. "By the pricking of my thumbs, etc. etc"
 Poor guy.
For extra fun, Danny put his baseball shaped bank ("Ball-O", yeah, he needs to work on better names) into the scene because the only thing that could make Macbeth better is baseball. 
Anyway, that was my birthday. I learned a few things making this cake (scale, for example) and feel completely ready to take on Richard III and Hamlet. If I have a castle pan, I'm going to use it. 

11 comments:

Propagatrix said...

Happy Birthday, darling!

Bibi Maizoon said...

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
I think that about sums up the 21st century so far.
Happy Birthday!
(and many more)

bahnwärterin said...

fantastic!
i´m not a big cake eater - but i looove to look at yours!! ...and to listen to your stories about.....
xxxx

Melanie Folly Bird said...

Happy birthday, the cake is a classic! xxx

Polyester Princess said...

Happy Birthday, Goody! Looking at your cake photos, I got a few stares on the bus this morning, as I couldn't help chuckling ;-) Thanks for that! xxx

Beth Waltz said...

What's tha' I hear, goin' bump in the nite?
'Tis some body bangin' on t' [castle] pan.
Hoot mon! And boo.
And a very happy birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Our Birthdays are less than two weeks ( but many years ) apart!!!
Fantastic cake, I bet it was fun to make. JanF

Mim said...

Happy birthday! That is one brilliant cake for celebrating with. (Mmmm, witches...)

Vronni's Style Meanderings said...


Happy birthday, Goody! I hope you had a fabulous day and were spoilt rotten. That is a truly amazing cake. Did it taste as gorgeous as it looks?

Emily from Etsy said...

Everything about this cake is sheer genius! The witches made my day. They look like Goth teenagers in the mosh pit of a Marilyn Manson concert.

Happy birthday!!!

Goody said...

@Propagatrix
Thank you.

@Bibi
Yeah, that's about where we're at.
Thank you for the birthday wishes.

@Beate
The cake itself is a rather plain yellow cake that isn't much to taste but holds a shape well for novelty cakes. To avoid being wasteful I will cut off the icing and use it in trifle or something like that.

@Melanie
Thank you. It was fun to make.

@Ann
hopefully no one was reading over your shoulder on the bus ;)

@Beth
Thank you.

@Jan
Thank you. Happy Birthday to you as well.

@mim
Thank you. I think the witches were the best part.

@Veronica
Thank you. The day was a bit disappointing, but every one of my "Milestone" birthdays have been ruined in one way or another so I didn't have high expectations. I'm sure if I live to 100 someone will find a way to make me feel bad and cry ;)
On a positive note, I have managed to get through the better part of a bottle of gin since sunday, so at least I have accomplished something memorable to look back on...

@Emily
Ha! I will always think of the witches in Macbeth as teens in a mosh pit now-that's excellent.